Software Engineering Manager - Palo Alto/Hybrid
Aionics is a company that lives at the intersection of materials science and artificial intelligence. We use our best-in-class simulation and machine learning capabilities, in partnership with some of the world’s largest manufacturers, to design next-generation materials for leading OEMs in automotive, grid scale energy storage, green manufacturing, and more. Our mission is to leverage the dual revolutions in high-performance computing and machine learning to discover and commercialize new materials for the clean energy economy. We are not selling software — we are selling materials.
We are seeking a highly skilled and experienced Software Engineering Manager to join our dynamic team of scientists and computer engineers. You will be responsible for leading a team of software engineers and participating in the design, implementation, and operation of a data- and AI-driven materials design platform that changes the way batteries are developed.
The ideal candidate would be a highly-skilled full stack software developer with team leadership experience and customer focus. Prior experience in supporting AI/ML platforms and Data Engineering is highly desired. The selected candidate will need to help architect our platform, prioritize functionality in coordination with our scientific and commercial teams, manage the team’s backlog, manage (and contribute to) delivery of functionality according to specifications. As this is an early stage start-up, we need someone who is not afraid to get their hands dirty and enjoys putting initial structure around processes. A background in the physical sciences, specifically in chemistry or materials engineering (atomistic simulations, battery engineering) is highly desired.
This is a hybrid position with in-person work in our Palo Alto office expected at least three days per week (Tue-Thu).
We welcome all levels of team leaders to apply. We are people-centric at Aionics: we believe in tailoring the job description and title around the right individual, not the other way around.
- Work with the executive team to help define the company’s technical roadmap and long-term vision, aligning it with business goals, market trends, and team capabilities
- Manage and mentor a team of software engineers team with diverse skills, including regular meetings to assess timelines and provide technical feedback on recent developments
- Oversee the development and management of robust software solutions to deliver short-term results and build long-term tools
- Drive technical discussions and decisions, ensuring adherence to best practices and architectural guidelines.
- Manage computational infrastructure, including cloud-based tooling (VMs, databases, and storage) and team development tools (internal user accounts, git repositories)
- Manage hiring processes to grow our engineering team at the right pace to provide for short- and long-term goals
- Represent the detailed capabilities and needs of the engineering team in high-level planning and scoping
- Operationalize AI/ML algorithms and models to solve complex business problems and enhance product capabilities.
- Design and optimize data pipelines for collecting, processing, and analyzing large volumes of data.
- Stay abreast of emerging technologies and industry trends and assess their potential impact on our products and services.
- B.S. degree in STEM field (Ph.D. or M.S. preferred) with at least 5+ years of experience in software engineering with a focus on cloud-based solutions and distributed systems
- 2+ years of experience managing software development teams
- Demonstrated experience in managing and prioritizing software specifications and development process
- Proficiency in project management methodologies and tools
- Ability to set clear expectations and paint a compelling vision that inspires action
- Strong proficiency in AWS cloud services and infrastructure automation
- Demonstrated expertise in AI/ML technologies, including familiarity with frameworks such as TensorFlow, PyTorch, or scikit-learn.
- Experience with data engineering tools and frameworks
- Familiarity with materials science concepts and applications is desired.
- Excellent leadership and communication skills, with the ability to effectively collaborate with cross-functional teams.
- Strong problem-solving abilities and a passion for innovation and continuous learning.
We know no applicant will check every box – above all, we value grit, enthusiasm, willingness to learn, and a do-whatever-it-takes attitude.
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Unlimited paid time off/sick leave
- Paid parental leave
- Two-week full company holiday at year’s end
- Hybrid schedule with some flexibility (on-site 3x per week)
How to apply
If interested, please click on the “Click here to Apply” button to submit your resume and cover letter.
Aionics, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.